
In Louisiana, Red Beans and Rice is a very common dish. It's a creole recipe that is still commonly found in the New Orleans area both in restaurants and homes. Interestingly enough, it was an old custom to make a pot of red beans on Monday... "wash day". Leftovers from Sunday lunch were often used and because the pot was left to simmer all day on the stove, it was easy to prepare while also doing the laundry.
Red Beans and Rice has become a staple in our diet. I make a pot not only on Mondays, but anyday when I know I will be away from the house. I've altered my Mawmaw's recipe to use in my crockpot, making it a perfectly easy slow-cooker meal. To make it even more enticing, this meal freezes very well and is very inexpensive to make. We love to serve cornbread alongside of our beans as well as a pot of snap beans or a salad.
Red Beans and Rice
1 (1 lb) package of red beans
1 lb. smoked sausage or andouille, sliced (I prefer Manda Smoked Sausage, but it's hard to find outside of Louisiana)
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
2-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 rounded teaspoons thyme
1 rounded teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6-8 cups water
Rice, cooked
Add red beans, sausage, onion, and celery to crock pot. Add herbs and seasonings. Add water to cover. Cook for 8-10 hours in slow cooker. Mash some of the beans in the pot before serving. Serve over rice.
Red Beans and Rice has become a staple in our diet. I make a pot not only on Mondays, but anyday when I know I will be away from the house. I've altered my Mawmaw's recipe to use in my crockpot, making it a perfectly easy slow-cooker meal. To make it even more enticing, this meal freezes very well and is very inexpensive to make. We love to serve cornbread alongside of our beans as well as a pot of snap beans or a salad.
Red Beans and Rice
1 (1 lb) package of red beans
1 lb. smoked sausage or andouille, sliced (I prefer Manda Smoked Sausage, but it's hard to find outside of Louisiana)
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
2-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 rounded teaspoons thyme
1 rounded teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6-8 cups water
Rice, cooked
Add red beans, sausage, onion, and celery to crock pot. Add herbs and seasonings. Add water to cover. Cook for 8-10 hours in slow cooker. Mash some of the beans in the pot before serving. Serve over rice.
Garnish with chopped green onions.

7 comments:
Yummy! I love red beans and rice. I'm not from Louisiana, but I'm from the south and it's not too hard to find Red beans and rice around our region. I noticed on Emma's blog that you are trying to cut back on sweet tea! Me, too. But, oh, how I love it.
This sounds delicious! I am just learning to cook, I'm embarrassed to say. Can you use turkey sausage for this recipe (I guess this might be considered sacrilege for a true Cajun cook ;-)). Also, regarding the package of red beans...is that dried red beans that you can buy in a bag?
I should clarify and say that I'm embarrassed that I'm just now learning how to cook because I'm 35 years old!
Juliana ---
Turkey Sausage works very well... we've used it from time to time, especially when wanting to lighten up the recipe a bit. I do use dried beans for this recipe, and because it simmers in the crock pot for so long, I have never needed to presoak them before cooking.
Good luck with your cooking... I'm still learning too!
~ Janna
Thank you, Janna. God Bless!
Thank you for your recipe. My dh is from Louisiana and I am not but I love to make food that he misses.
I hope you might post more recipes from your home!
This sounds WONDERFUL!!! Mr. U LOVES anything with sausage in it and I LOVE anything with a spicy kick!! :)
I've tried a red beans and rice recipe before, but it was lacking something that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Since your recipe is tried and true (and VERY easy, I might add), I'm sure it'll be a success in the U household!
His,
Mrs. U
Post a Comment